Council tax for student housing

A property is exempt from council tax if everyone living there is a full-time university or college student. Student halls of residence are automatically exempt. If you do get a bill,  Use the button below to apply for an exemption.

Apply for a student exemption or discount

You're a student if you're:

  • attending a university or college course which lasts at least one academic year, takes at least 24 weeks a year and involves at least 21 hours of study a week when in attendance
  • under 20 years of age, studying for more than three months and at least 12 hours a week for a qualification up to A Level (if you leave after 1 May, we will not count you until the following 1 November)
  • a student nurse on a university course
  • a foreign language assistant registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges
  • a non-British spouse or dependant of a student and you are prevented by the terms of UK entry from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits

Your household will receive a council tax bill if there's someone in your household who's not a full-time student and liable to pay council tax. However they may be entitled to a discount if they're living with full-time students who are exempt from paying council tax.

If you live in a house in multiple occupation (HMO) the owner of the property is liable to pay the council tax. For council tax purposes, a property that's occupied by more than one household or by one or more tenants each with their own tenancy agreement for part of the property is likely to be an HMO.

Discounts aren't given automatically, we may ask you for proof or inspect your home. You still need to pay your council tax whilst applying for a discount but if you're entitled to a discount we'll give you a refund. Use the button above to apply for a discount. If you want to cancel a discount you're receiving, use the general enquiry form below.

Submit a General Enquiry

Appeal a decision

See our appeals and decisions page.