Skip to main content

Adapt your home

If you are struggling to get around your home due to:

  • a disability
  • long-term illness
  • visual impairment
  • old age

We may be able to help with equipment and adaptations to your home to make it easier and safer to live independently or for a carer to look after you.

Use the Plymouth Online Directory to get help in your home. 

A Disabled Facilities Grant can help with:

  • Stairlifts
  • Level access showers
  • Widening doors
  • Installing ramps
  • Through the floor lifts
  • Adapting heating/lighting facilities
  • Safe access to gardens

How to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant

To apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant, call our Adult Social Care or Children's Services team on 01752 668000.

You can apply for a grant if you're:

  • an owner or the tenant of a property
  • a landlord on behalf of a disabled person
  • parents of a disabled child

If you receive a means tested benefit or the grant is for a child you'll get a full grant to cover the cost of the works. The maximum grant available is £30,000.

If you don't receive a means tested benefit, you'll be assessed to see if you've got to contribute towards the cost of the work.