The Police and Crime Panel supports and challenges the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC). The panel has the power to request reports and call the PCC to attend its meetings.
Panels will not replace police authorities and will not have a role in scrutinising the performance of the police force (that is the role of the PCC).
The panel will:
- review the police and crime plan and annual report
- scrutinize (and potentially veto) the PCC's proposed council tax precept* for policing
- hold confirmation hearings for the PCC's proposed appointment of a Chief Constable and senior support staff (the panel may veto the Chief Constable appointment)
- scrutinise the actions and decisions of the Commissioner (but not the performance of the police force)
- consider complaints against the PCC of a non-criminal nature.
*the money collected from council tax for policing
Meetings are held in the Council House, Plymouth City Council, Armada Way, Plymouth.
The Panels response to the Police and Crime Commissioners Precept 2023/24
Report of the confirmation hearing for Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly Chief Constable on 21 September 2022
Read the latest reports, agendas and minutes
The PCC answer to the public on cutting crime in their police force area
Find out how the Panel works
Details of how to ask the panel a question
Details of how to contact us if you have any questions