Report a problem in a park or playground
Beaumont Park was the vision of Reverend Thomas Bewes who owned Beaumont House (built in 1800) which borders the park. He bequeathed the land which now forms the park to the people of Plymouth after his death in 1890. The park was opened to the public in 1892, in those days there were clear views across Sutton Harbour and the Plymouth Sound.
The park is surrounded by high walls and forms a unit with the next door Beaumont House. There are formal gardens near to the house whilst the rest of the park contains mature trees. The park is known to some as 'Squirrel Park' because of the abundance of grey squirrels which scamper about between the trees.
In 1899, Beaumont Road became the first tram route to be electrified in Plymouth. There are reminders of the tram days still on the south wall of Beaumont House, though the last tram passed in 1936.
Before it's present ownership, Beaumont House was used as a museum (1898 to 1916) and a medical dispensary (1916 to 1988).
- Open from 7.30am until dusk and free to use
- Basketball hoop and ball games area at the west end of the park immediately to the north of the playground
- Large playground within the park at the western end refurbished in 2009, includes wheelchair swing (access with radar key), wheelchair accessible roundabout, trampoline, range of swings, toddler and senior multi-play units and spinning pole
Walks, nature and scenery
- Home to a number of mature trees including oaks, beech, sycamore and horse chestnut trees
- Display of woodland spring wildflowers on the southern side of the park
- Formal gardens near to Beaumont House
- Bins and dog bins
- Seating throughout the park
- Paths have a good surface allowing pram and wheelchair users to access most areas
- Most accesses are level but one or two have steps
- Wheelchair accessible roundabout and swing (access with radar key)
Travel and directions
- 10 minute walk from the city centre along Ebrington Street
- Accessible using public transport with bus stops along Beaumont Road and Tothill Avenue
- Free car parking for one hour along Beaumont Road on the south side of the park