Beaumont Park was the vision of Reverend Thomas Bewes who owned Beaumont House (built in 1800) which borders the park. He bequeathed the land which now forms the park to the people of Plymouth after his death in 1890. The park was opened to the public in 1892, in those days there were clear views across Sutton Harbour and the Plymouth Sound.
The park is surrounded by high walls and forms a unit with the next door Beaumont House. There are formal gardens near to the house whilst the rest of the park contains mature trees. The park is known to some as 'Squirrel Park' because of the abundance of grey squirrels which scamper about between the trees.
In 1899, Beaumont Road became the first tram route to be electrified in Plymouth. There are reminders of the tram days still on the south wall of Beaumont House, though the last tram passed in 1936. Before it's present ownership, Beaumont House was used as a museum (1898 to 1916) and a medical dispensary (1916 to 1988).
Beaumont Park is home to a number of mature trees including oaks, beech, sycamore and horse chestnut. During the Spring there is a display of woodland wildflowers on the southern side of the park.
A large playground with a selction of different equipment including wheelchair accessible items, as well as a basketball hoop and ball games areas is also within the park.