Skip to main content

Animal welfare

To protect the welfare of animals, the Council license businesses that have involvement with selling, boarding, displaying, riding, keeping and the movement of certain animals to ensure required standards are complied with.

Performing animals

We will not allow on any council owned land, rodeos, circuses or travelling menageries which include performing animals and will use our statutory powers to prevent performing animal acts in theatres wherever possible.

Animal cruelty

To report a mistreated, neglected, injured or distressed animal, please contact the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA).

Or you can call their 24-hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999. The RSPCA cruelty checklist helps identify the information they may ask for when you contact them.

Animal Activities Licence

To report an unlicensed activity please email