Business support and enterprise agencies
Organisations, enterprise agencies and Council departments that offer services and advice to businesses.
- Business premises
- Business space
- Business support helpline on GOV.UK
- Devon and Plymouth Chamber of Commerce
- Fredericks Foundation
- Tools and guidance for businesses on GOV.UK
- Heart of the South West Growth Hub
- HM Revenue & Customs
- Invest Plymouth
- Jobcentre Plus
- Princes Trust
- Public Protection Service
- Social Enterprises
- South West Investment Group
- University of Plymouth Enterprise Solutions
- Business support guides for existing businesses and start ups
Sources of support
Apprenticeships are designed by Sector Skills Councils. They work with industries to develop course content and to make sure training is relevant.
The National Apprenticeship Service helps to fund the training.
Heart of the South West Growth Hub
Free business advice and support services for businesses and start ups in Devon, Somerset, Plymouth and Torbay.
Visit the Heart of the South West Growth Hub website.
We administer business rates in Plymouth working to regulations controlled by Central Government.
Visit GOV.UK for an overview of business rates.
Open to Export
Free online information service from The Institute of Export & International Trade. Open to Export help small UK businesses get ready to export and expand internationally.
Visit the Open to Export website.
You will need planning permission for most building works or changes of use of land or buildings
The Council’s planning team can provide advice and information on development proposals. You can talk to them before you make a planning application.
Find out how to get planning pre-application advice.
Freedom of Fear campaign
The Freedom From Fear campaign works to prevent violence, threats and abuse against workers.
It is run by the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers. (USDAW)
Find more information on the USDAW website.
City College Plymouth
City College Plymouth is a leading provider of training and business services.
The Employer Solutions team works with businesses and organisations.
- general business and management training
- bespoke training designed to meet exact needs
- help for businesses recruit, train and qualify apprentices
Find out more about the Employer Solutions Team.
Plymouth Marjon University
The Plymouth Marjon University works closely with businesses.
They offer a range of services to employers including:
- HE-level flexible training for those already in employment
- continuing professional development
- short and industry-related courses from levels 1 to 7
- employer advisory groups for course content
- student placement projects
- applied research and knowledge transfer partnerships
For more information visit the Plymouth Marjon University website.
University of Plymouth
Enterprise Solutions is a service provided by the University of Plymouth. It helps businesses to access a range of expertise, services and facilities, including:
- entrepreneurship and business start-up
- expertise and research
- facilities (laboratories, meeting rooms or accommodation)
- knowledge transfer
- student/graduate recruitment
- skills and training