Skip to main content

Get extra funding for your child's nursery or childminder

Your child's nursery or childminder can get extra funding (called early years pupil premium) which means they can give your child more support.

Getting extra funding

If your child is three or four-years-old, has a free nursery or childminder place and you get one or more of these benefits then let your nursery or childminder know:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit

They can also get the funding if your child has:

  • been adopted from care
  • left care through special guardianship
  • a child arrangement order setting out who they have to live with (formerly known as a residence order).

Your nursery or childminder will ask you to fill in a form to say you're happy for us to check your child is allowed the funding. They'll get the funding once we've checked and approved the form.

If you need more information please contact your child's nursery or childminder.