We keep our main collection of materials relating to Plymouth and its surrounding areas at the Central Library.
- Free computer access (two computers with Microfilm scanners)
- Microform readers with printing facilities
For more information or to book computers or Microform readers email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 305902.
- Topics covered include transport, education, geology, mining, genealogy, archaeology and biography
- Special collections include books by Eden Phillpotts, the nineteenth and twentieth century West Country novelist and poet, and Sabine Baring-Gould, Exeter-born prolific writer of novels and non-fiction covering theology, folklore, social commentary, travel and history
Runs of the major county historical periodicals, including:
- Transactions of the Devonshire Association
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries
- Publications of the Devon and Cornwall Record Society
- Local periodicals and parish magazines
Our local newspaper collection is on Microfilm.
Booking a Microfilm reader is essential. Email email@example.com or call 01752 305902.
For details of printing costs see our charges page.
- Plymouth Weekly Journal, 1721 to 1723
- Sherborne Mercury, 1737 to 1867, with gaps
- Plymouth and Dock Telegraph, 1808 to 1816
- Plymouth Chronicle, May 1809, part 1812, 1813
- Plymouth and Dock Telegraph and Chronicle, 1817 to 1821
- Plymouth and Devonport Weekly Journal, 1819 to 1863
- Plymouth and Plymouth Dock Weekly, 1821 to 1823
- Devonshire Freeholder, 1824 to 1825
- Plymouth Herald and Devonshire Freeholder, 1826 to 1828
- Royal Devonport Telegraph and Plymouth Chronicle, 1828 to 1834
- Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse Herald, 1831 to 860
- Devonport Independent and Stonehouse Gazette, 1833 to 1891
- Devonport Telegraph and Plymouth Chronicle, 1835 to 1851
- Plymouth Times, Devonport, Stonehouse and West of England, 1842 to 1858
- Devonport and Plymouth Telegraph, 1852 to 1863
- Plymouth Mail, 1852 to 1862
- Tavistock Gazette, 1857 to 1889
- Western Morning News, 1860 to 2014
- Western Daily Mercury, 1860 to 1921
- Western Weekly News, 1861 to 1939
- Thunderbolt, 1871 to 1873
- Western Critic, October to December 1871
- Western Evening Herald, 1895 to present day
- Plympton Times and South Hams Advertiser, January to February 1898
- Plympton Gazette, 1907 to 1912
- Plympton District Times, 1921 to 1927
- Plympton and South Devon Times, 1927 to 1930
- South Devon Times, 1930 to 1950
- Sunday Independent, 1986 to 2010
Some newspapers, including the Western Morning News and the Western Evening Herald are indexed on card; indexes from 2000 are available on the online catalogue and on Newsbank from 2008.
You can access the British Newspaper Archive in all libraries.
- Ordnance Survey county series in Second and Third Editions for most of south and west Devon in 6" and 25" scales
- County series 1:500 for Plymouth in the 1890s: 1st edition on microfiche
- Historical maps for Plymouth, Devon and Cornwall
- Reproductions of early Plymouth maps, from 1643 to 1939
Images and illustrations
- Photographs and engravings of Plymouth and the surrounding area
Images have been catalogued and digitised by Plymouth Archives, The Box.