Skip to main content

Local land charges

As a local authority we maintain a register of local land charges for our area.

The purpose of the register is to protect buyers of land and property, unawares by obligations that are enforceable against successive owners.

LLC1 and Personal searches

This service is dealt with by the Land Registry and can be accessed through GOV.UKBusiness Gateway or HM Land Registry.

Official CON29 searches

This deals with issues that can affect the property such as

  • planning history
  • road schemes
  • enforcement notices

There are 2 parts to the CON29:

CON29O requests must be submitted with the original search to guarantee the set fees. If they are submitted separately this will incur extra costs.

Supporting information from search enquiries cannot be guaranteed past the date the responses were:

  • completed by the authority
  • notified to the enquirer

When submitting a search you will be asked for:

If the property has been officially named and numbered quote the official address not the plot address.

Complete the following form and email When emailing quote the property search address in the subject field.

CON29 search request form

We aim to respond to search requests within 4 working days.


All plans must clearly define the boundary of the land/property by means of a red boundary outlining the search area. An up-to-date Ordnance Survey plan scale 1:1250 or 1:2500 is required with all search applications.

Applications will be rejected if:

  • there are no plans
  • plans are poor quality

Developer's site plans must come with a location plan.

Applicants own enquiries

You can submit your own enquiries for an extra charge. These made up enquiries (known as part 3) must be submitted at the same time as the CON29. We are not under any obligation to answer part 3 enquiries so we recommend you contact us to confirm a response is possible:

We cannot accept enquiries relating to the vicinity or matters which may affect the use of enjoyment of the property.

Box C

Identify any extra roads/footpaths/footways in Box C of the form and mark on the accompanying location plan if relevant. We'll only respond to highway enquiries on adjoining roads and nearest public highways.


We offer two payment options:

  • Credit card - once your application has been checked you will be contacted to make payment.
  • BACS - a BACS payment can be set up for applicants that submit local search applications on a regular basis. Call 01752 304809 for further information.
Type of search Fee
CON29R request £81.36
Each CON29O optional enquiry submitted with a CON29R £12
CON29O optional enquiries submitted independently - without a CON29R will also incur a processing fee per application. This is in addition to the £10 per question charge. £10.80
Solicitors own enquiries £24
CON29R standard only - parcel fee £12

Order copies of documents

We can provide copies of documents related to entries on the local Land charges register including:

  • Enforcement notices
  • Listed buildings
  • Planning consents
  • Section 106 agreements
  • Section 33/38 agreements
  • Tree preservation orders

There is a £46 fee per copy.

To order copies of documents email When emailing quote the property search address and the reference number for the required document.

Common land and village greens

We are responsible for updating the common land and town or village green register. This includes amendments to the register and the registering of a new town or village green within its boundary.

Searches can be submitted by selecting enquiry number 22 on the CON29O form. This enquiry can be submitted separately, or at the same time as undertaking a local search application.

The Common Land and Village Green Registers are public registers and available to view. Email or call 01752 304809 to make an appointment to view a search address or area of land.

Property abutting or within common land, town or village green

If a search reveals that the property is abutting or within common land, town or village green, there may be implications for you. Please speak to your solicitor for advice and contact the Local Land Charges office if you require copies of the Register of Common Land, Register Map or other related documents we hold.

Common land

Common land is land, usually in private ownership, that has rights of common over it. The main features of common land are that it is generally open, unfenced and remote - particularly in the upland areas of England and Wales. However, there are some lowland areas of common land, particularly in the south-east of England, that are important for recreational uses. The Countryside and Rights of Way Act, 2000 permits public access to open countryside including access to common land.

Town or village greens

Town or village greens are usually areas of land within defined settlements or geographical areas which local inhabitants can go onto for the exercise of lawful sports and pastimes as of right for at least 20 years and either continue to do so or have ceased to do so (for not more than said period as may be prescribed).

Sports and pastimes could include organised or ad-hoc games, picnics, fetes and other similar activities. While land forming town or village greens may be privately owned, many greens are owned and maintained by local Parish or Community Councils. Some greens may also have rights of common (grazing of livestock) over them.

Registering common land/village greens

An application to register new land as a town or village green can be done under the Commons Act 2006 Section 15. When applying to Plymouth City Council as Commons Registration Authority, the applicant has to prove that the land has been used as of right for a period of 20 years. As of rights means that the land owner has not stopped you from using the land or fenced the land in during this time.

The application form to use when applying to the Commons Registration Authority is called Form 44 and can be downloaded from the DEFRA website.

Component bundle searches

You can request a component bundle search if you would prefer to complete the search yourself. This search allows you to request specific bundles of information you would normally get from a CON29R.

When submitting a component bundle search you will be asked:

  • your contact details
  • for the full address of the property
  • a plan showing the property boundary
  • which bundles
  • how you want to pay

If the property has been officially named and numbered quote the official address not the plot address.

Complete the following form and email When emailing quote the property search address in the subject field.

We aim to respond to search requests within 4 working days.


Area Bundle includes Fee
Admin fee N/A £10.80
Planning - A1 1.1 (a - f)
Planning - A2 3.1
3.9 (a - n)
3.11 (a - b)
Planning - A3 1.1 (g - i)
3.7 (g)
3.10 (a - h)
3.15 (a - b)
Building Control - B1 1.1 (j - l)
3.7 (a)
Highways - C1 2.1 (a - d)
2.2 - 2.5
3.7 (e)
Highways - C2 3.2
3.3 (a - c)
3.4 (a - f)
3.5 (a - b)
3.6 (a - l)
Housing - D1 3.7 (d) £1.44
Environment - E1 3.7 (b - c), f £4.32
Environment - E2 3.13 (a - c)