Skip to main content

Get registered and check your photo ID for General Election

Make sure you are registered and have eligible photographic ID, enabling you to vote in person at the UK General Parliamentary Election on 4 July 2024. 

General election coming graphic

Registered electors in Plymouth will go to the polls on 4 July and vote for their own Member of Parliament (MP) in one of the three constituencies of Plymouth Sutton and Devonport; Plymouth Moor View or South West Devon.

As a reminder, those who want to vote in the elections, must be registered to vote by the 18 June 2024. If you aren't already registered it only takes five minutes to register online. 

First introduced for the elections last year, those wanting to vote at a polling station will need to also make sure they have eligible photo ID. Accepted forms of ID include a UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Commonwealth passport; a full or provisional UK, EEA or Commonwealth drivers’ licence; some concessionary travel passes, such as an older person’s bus pass and a blue badge.

Anyone who does not have one of the accepted forms of ID can now apply for free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC) online or by completing a paper form which is available from the Council. Voters wishing to apply for free VAC, enabling them to vote in person, should first make sure they are registered to vote. 

The deadline to apply for this ID is 26 June 2024.

The key dates to remember are:

  • Deadline to register to vote: 18 June 2024 (midnight)
  • Deadline to apply or change a postal vote: 19 June 2024 (at 5pm)
  • Deadline to apply for Voter ID certificate: 26 June 2024 (at 5pm)
  • Deadline to apply for a proxy vote: 26 June 2024 (at 5pm)

Tracey Lee, Returning Officer for Plymouth, said: “We know that many people will want to cast their vote in this year’s General Election. However, we need to make sure that those who want to vote are registered and have an accepted form of ID if they want to vote in person.

“As a reminder - anyone voting at a polling station on 4 July will need to show photo ID before they can be given their ballot paper. It’s important that everyone understands what types of ID they can use, and how to apply for free VAC if they need it. 

“Don’t put it off or wait until it is too late.”

More information on registering to vote, what voter ID will be accepted or how to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate is available on the Plymouth City Council website. Anyone not able to visit the Council website, or apply for a Voter Authority Certificate online, can contact the Council by calling 01752 304866 or emailing: