Skip to main content

Voter ID

From May 2023, the UK government will require voters to show photo ID at the polling station.

This new requirement will be enforced for the first time in Plymouth at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

The requirement applies to all local elections and referendums.

Photo ID that can be used to vote

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Older Person’s Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

Expired photographic identification documents can still be used as accepted photographic ID at the polling station, as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of the elector.

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted:

Don’t have an accepted form of photo ID

You can apply for photo ID to vote (Voter Authority Certificate) if you:

  • don't have an accepted form of photo ID
  • are not sure your photo ID still looks like you

You must provide a suitable photograph with your application.

The Voter Authority Certificate can only be used as proof of identity for voting.

Apply online

Ask for a paper application form

You can complete a paper application form and send this to the electoral services team.

Before you request a paper application form you must either:

We can send a register to vote form with the Voter Authority Certificate application.

To get a paper application form:

Help applying for a Voter Authority Certificate

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate:

Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more: