Skip to main content

Plymouth support offer

If you need help and support there are a number of local organisations who can help:

I have been a victim of Violence Against Women and Girls

There are a number of organisations that can help if you are, or have been, impacted by Violence Against Women and Girls including domestic abuse or sexual violence:

  • Trevi is a local charity offering a range of support for women. The Sunflower Centre offers a safe space for women to receive support and connect with other women. It offers a wraparound therapeutic service for any woman in need in the City. This could include: addictions, mental wellbeing, health, criminogenic behaviours, domestic abuse and social isolation. Every year, Sunflower supports and empowers more than 700 local women, many with complex needs and experience of trauma and abuse.
    Should you, or someone you know, need help and support please contact: Sunflower Women’s Centre, Telephone: 01752 977614, email:
  • Sanctuary provide domestic abuse services for Plymouth via the Plymouth Domestic Abuse Service (PDAS). This includes practical, non-judgemental support, advice and protection for all victims of domestic abuse. PDAS provide support for individuals and families in the Plymouth area, including confidential advice, one-to-one and group support sessions. 
  • Women's Aid provide support for women and children at risk of or having experienced domestic abuse. The website includes a live chat function.
  • First Light is a charity supporting people in Plymouth as well as Cornwall, Devon and Wiltshire who have been affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence.  First Light is independent of statutory agencies, including the Police, and every year they help thousands of adults and children in the South West to lead safer lives, free from violence and abuse. This includes a Plymouth Sexual Violence Therapy and Counselling Service and a Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Independent Sexual Advisor (ISVA) Service.
  • Devon Rape Crisis  provides free and confidential sexual violence support. Their confidential helpline and email support services are available on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 6pm to 9pm on 01392 204 174 or
  • The Survivor Pathways offers services for people who have survived non-recent rape, sexual assault and childhood sexual abuse (Regional).
  • Intercom Trust is an LGBT+ led charity, proudly working to improve wellbeing and inclusion across the South West.  They have specialist domestic abuse workers in Devon and Cornwall
  • Clare’s Law, also know as the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS), is a police policy giving people the right to know if their current or ex-partner has any previous history of violence or abuse. The scheme is named after Clare Wood, who was murdered by her abusive ex-boyfriend in 2009. It was formally rolled out in England and Wales in 2014, following the landmark campaign led by Clare’s father Michael Brown. Find out more from Devon and Cornwall Police.
  • Ahimsa provide specialist support to change the behaviour of people aged 18 and over who are concerned about their abusive behaviour towards their partner or ex-partner.  They also support current or ex-partners of those working with their behaviour change programme.

I have been a victim of crime

  • Victim Support is a charity that provides specialist practical help and emotional support to victims of all crime and major incidents across England and Wales. Their local team can offer support to anyone over 18 years and you can call them on 0300 303 0554 between 12pm and 6pm weekdays. Anyone affected by crime can call Victim Support’s free 24/7 Supportline number anytime on 0808 1689 111.
  • Young Devon also offer specific support for children and young people who have been a victim of crime. 
  • The Zone offer specific support for children and young people who have been a victim of crime. 
  • Victims of crime can also contact the Victim Care unit - Devon & Cornwall Police. 01392 475900 7 days a week. Email:
  • The National Stalking Helpline can help anyone being stalked and is open 9.30am to 4pm every weekday apart from Wednesdays, when it’s open from 9.30am to 8pm on 0808 802 0300

I would like to talk to someone about my mental health 

  • Livewell Southwest: Mental health support for adults and children. Phone 111
  • Livewell Southwest Plymouth Options: Support for people struggling with low level anxiety or depression. Available to those 16+, registered with a Plymouth GP. Call 01752 435419 
  • The Samaritans: 116123 free from any phone, or 0330 094 5717 (local call charges apply)
  • TEXT FREE- ‘SHOUT’ TO 85258 This is a confidential, 24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope.
  • Andys Man Club Plymouth – Men’s mental health support group. 
  • Emotional Logic Centre – Charity helping people deal with their emotions and teaching how to harness sometimes unpleasant emotions into an action plan for positive change. 01752 892 455.

Can I speak to someone about support from children's or adult social care?  

  • Plymouth City Council: 01752 668000

Can I get specific help to support my child's emotional health and wellbeing? 

  • You can speak to someone at your child’s educational setting
  • You can speak to any professional already supporting your family e.g. health worker
  • Make your child aware of - Childline: 0800 1111 Childline is there to help anyone under 19 in the UK with any issue they’re going through , support can also be accessed online

You can also contact: 

The Young Devon, Young Plymouth (Mutley Office)

The Mutley Office will be open for Face to Face (F2F) community hours on Mondays - Fridays. Young People aged 11-18 can be referred for wellbeing conversations and counselling services or call 01752 749740. All referrals to community counselling will receive a wellbeing conversation and then be forwarded to the counselling service in the community or signposted to another more appropriate support.

Emotional Health & Wellbeing Support from The Zone (14-16 Union Street)

Young people aged 13 to 25 years, or their parents/carers, can contact the Zone for advice, guidance, information or support via: mobile 07867358187, The Zone reception 01752 206626  or email. 

The Zone current opening hours (by appointment) are:

  • Monday: 10am to 7pm
  • Tuesday: 10am to 5pm
  • Wednesday: 10am to 5pm
  • Thursday: 10am to 7pm
  • Friday: 10am to 5pm
  • Saturday: 10am to 3pm 

Can I get help to support my children with understanding grief and loss? 

  • Jeremiah’s Journey: Helpline on 01752 424348 or by email.  
  • Make your child aware of  - Childline on: 0800 1111 Childline is there to help anyone under 19 in the UK with any issue they’re going through , support can also be accessed online
  • Cruse Bereavement Support on: 0808 808 1677

What other support is there, either online or face to face? 

  • Victim Support offer a range of tools to help people to cope and move forwards after crime. There is also a live webchat on their website, for those who do not want to talk on the phone. 
  • Kooth: Online mental health support for young people aged 11-19 Plymouth / Devon 11-25. Young people can access free counselling and chat support as well as a range of therapeutic tools on the site. Kooth came together with their clinical team to create a new 'Significant Incident Resource Pack' for employees, education staff, young people and adults.
  • Youngminds: TEXT FREE – ‘YM’ to 85258 Young Minds is a free, confidential, 24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope. 
  • Shout 85258 is a free, confidential, anonymous text support service. You can text from wherever you are in the UK.
  • Plymouth's children’s centres are able to provide support to children and their families. Find your nearest centre. 
  • Livewell Southwest Chat Health: a health visiting and school nursing text service for parents, carers and young people to confidentially ask for help about issues or make an appointment. Available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, excluding bank holidays. Out-of-hours, anyone messaging the service will be sent an automated message with advice on where to get help if their question is urgent. Text messages can be sent to the following dedicated numbers:
    • Livewell ChatHealth: 0-5 years Parents Service – 07480 635188
    • Livewell ChatHealth: 5-10 years Parents Service – 07480 635189
    • Livewell ChatHealth: 11-19 years Young Peoples Service – 07480 635198
  • If you need help or support to keep your child safe online, find out how with the NSPCC online safety guides (for Parents/Carers/Professionals/Community)
  • General health information is also available via these websites:

Plymouth Together

Following the tragedy in Keyham in August 2021 a dedicated website was set up featuring many support and help options including a section for children and young people.

If you wish to talk to someone face-to-face then professionals and volunteers are available to signpost through the Community Hub based at Keyham Green Places (KGP) Community Centre, 163 Renown Street. A member of Plymouth Together is available on Wednesdays or you can phone Debbie on 07769 300 126.

Further support is available at the Wolseley Community Hub in Wolseley Close and the Jan Cutting Wellbeing Hub in Beacon Park Road. Call Nicki on 07305 052 575 or 01752 203 670.