Skip to main content

Report adult abuse, neglect or a safeguarding concern

Some adults are not able to look after themselves without support because of their physical or mental health needs. They may not be able to protect themselves from abuse or neglect. These are the people who might need to be referred for adult safeguarding.

If you are concerned about someone, use our online form to tell us.

Or call 01752 668000.

Types of abuse

Abuse is when someone does something which puts others or themselves at risk of harm.

Adult abuse takes many forms including:

  • physical abuse
  • domestic violence or abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • psychological or emotional abuse
  • financial or material abuse
  • modern slavery
  • discriminatory abuse
  • organisational or institutional abuse
  • neglect or acts of omission
  • self-neglect

More information about abuse

Alternatives to adult safeguarding

When safeguarding is not appropriate for the concerns that you have, consider:

What we do when we get a report

When we receive a report of abuse, we will make enquiries and collect as much information as we can.

We will:

  • consider the person you're worried about and the seriousness of the situation
  • support you or the person at risk to access the most appropriate support
  • if possible, provide referrers with feedback on the outcome of referral

We will offer the person information and advice so they can make a choice about any help they need or action they want to take. If they can't make an informed choice, we'll take action to support and protect them in their best interest.

For more information about Adult Safeguarding visit understanding what constitutes a safeguarding concern.