Skip to main content

Child Performance and Chaperone Licence

Child performance licence

Children performing in broadcast and non-broadcast work.

Children who perform on stage, in TV, film, model, or take part in paid or professional sport must have a performance licence if:

  • They are being paid
  • They need time off school, or have performed for more than four days in the last six months

A performance licence is a legal document issued by the child's local council. It explains where the child will be performing, what they will be doing, who will look after them (chaperone) and if they need time off from school.

Applying for a licence

The person responsible for the production should apply for the icence at least 21 working days before the performance is due to take place and will be the licence holder. The licence holder is responsible for observing the conditions on the licence. All children who need a performance licence must be looked after by a licenced chaperone or their parent/carer.

Supporting documents

If you are applying for a performance licence you will need:

  • Two identicalphotos of the child taken in the last 6 months
  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate
  • A copy of the contract, draft contract or other documents with information about the performance

You can email completed forms to or post to:

Services for Children and Young People
Inclusion, Attendance & Education Welfare Service
Plymouth City Council
Windsor House
Tavistock Road
Plymouth, PL6 5UF

Chaperone Licence

Looking after children in licenced performances

All children who take part in licenced performances must be looked after by a responsible adult who is either their parent/carer or a Council approved chaperone.

A chaperone is there to look after the children in their care while they are performing.

Chaperones must know the Government regulations which protect children who perform and must attend chaperone training when provided by the Council.

A chaperone must show the same care as a good parent would by making sure that:

  • the children in their care are well looked after
  • have regular breaks, rest and access to food and drink
  • do not perform if they are ill, tired or upset and
  • must be able to protect the child from harm.

Getting a chaperone licence

If you would like to become a chaperone please ask our Child Employment & Performance Officer for an application pack by calling 01752 307405.

Once the checks are complete, you’ll get a photo ID badge with the details of the performance you are chaperoning for. Your details will be held on file for three years. If you want to renew your licence after three years you’ll need to complete the Chaperone Application and DBS Application Form again. There is a small administrative charge.