What We Offer
We offer a range of working arrangements designed to help you to fit work around your other responsibilities, balanced with the specific demands of your role. These arrangements enable you to enjoy a good work/life balance and include: a flexi-time scheme (where service demands allow it), job share, shared parental leave, family support leave and career breaks.
We give staff the tools and training to work wherever makes most sense – on the go, in partners’ offices, at home, and in our corporate buildings. This allows you to be flexible and work where and when you need to, where the role allows this.
Most Council employees can have up to 25 days annual leave (plus public holidays, and pro rata for part-time), rising to 30 days after five years’ continuous service. If you are a JNC Youth and Community worker, your annual leave entitlement is 30 days (plus bank/public holidays, and pro rata for part-time), rising to 35 days after five years’ continuous service.
Additionally, you may be able to purchase up to 12 days of additional annual leave through our flexible benefits scheme.
Our People Strategy vision is to have “a motivated, engaged and skilled workforce focused on meeting the needs of the citizens of Plymouth”. We are committed to investing in the continued learning and development of all of our employees to ensure they have the right skills and experience to provide and improve services and outcomes for the citizens of Plymouth.
We are recognised nationally for our commitment to developing our staff. In 2018 we made the national Top 100 Apprenticeship Employer List for the fourth year in a row, and we won the national School Leaver’s Top Employer Award 2017. To ensure the Council operates at its best, we offer you a range of flexible opportunities and support to help you develop yourself and your career. We expect you to take an active part in your own development by seeking opportunities to learn and discussing this with your line manager in regular performance discussions.
Here is a taster of the learning and development opportunities you can expect to be available to you when you work with us:
- Induction Event – our Welcome Event will introduce you to our Corporate Plan, allow you to explore how our organisational values relate to you in your role, and understand how you can contribute to the Council’s mission
- Regular performance discussions – we equip our line managers to hold these discussions with you about your role, performance and career aspirations within the Council
- Workshops and short courses – we offer a range of topics that follow our business plans and our organisational priorities. If you identify a topic that could help you enhance your service to your customers, discuss this with your line manager who will consult with our Organisational Development team
- Functional skills courses – the opportunity to achieve a nationally recognised qualification in English, Maths and ICT fully funded by Plymouth City Council
- E-learning – allowing you access to learning when you want and at your own pace, with over 50 topics including:
- Introduction to Local Government
- Managing yourself and your time
- Personal resilience
- Developing Emotional intelligence
- Project management
- Presentation skills
- Change management
- Team leading and improving performance
- Leadership and management development programmes – in additional to our e-learning offer, our bespoke blended learning programme for existing and aspiring managers is delivered over nine months and allows you to build a strong support network across the Council whilst you learn and put into practice a range of essential management skills, knowledge and behaviours
- Coaching – with trained cross-agency coaches to support and develop you to carry out your role more effectively and empower you to explore your own options and solutions for moving forwards and improving
- Additional interest roles – opportunity to apply for roles you can perform in addition to your usual duties, including Wellbeing Champions and Green Champions – these roles offer full training and an agreement for you to complete certain activities within your working time
- Volunteering – there is a strong volunteering community in Plymouth and if you wish to undertake a voluntary role outside your working hours to develop your skills and experience, the Improving Lives Plymouth programme can help you find interesting and rewarding volunteering opportunities in the local community
We're a diverse organisation, so depending on your role and the area you work in you may also have access to additional development opportunities such as job shadowing, mentoring, stretch projects or assignments, and secondments. Whatever your learning and career development aspirations, we will support you to perform at your best and get the most out of working at Plymouth City Council.
Our Employee Assistance Programme provides practical information, resources, counselling and advice to help you balance your work, family and personal lives. This free, confidential and independent service is available to all staff 24 hours a day covering a vast range of topics including managing stress and anxiety, childcare, relationships, consumer rights, and legal, financial and health advice.
Plymouth is located in the heart of the South West and boasts affordable living, stunning scenery and historic landmarks. Plymouth hosts major events such as MTV crashes, Armed Forces Day and the upcoming Mayflower 400 event which will put Plymouth on the world stage. Britain's Oceans City, Plymouth is a great place to live, work and play.
A re-location package is available where appropriate and agreed. More details are provided if the role is eligible.
- Join our Cycle to Work scheme. Get a new bike and safety equipment – all tax free!
- Get reduced weekly parking rates at a city centre car park
- Book one of our pool bicycles or cars for business use
- Join the Devon car share scheme
- Have your say with the View From You, our annual staff survey and influence the key issues that we act on
- Nominate, or be nominated for our Star Awards – recognition for our employees’ hard work, commitment and dedication
- Join the Give As You Earn scheme - a completely tax-free, simple and flexible way for you to support your favourite charity on a regular basis.
Designed to make your money go further, our online discount benefits portal, iCHOOSE, offers you significant savings on everyday goods and services including weekly shopping, leisure, entertainment, holidays, motoring, clothing, eating out and much, much more. With over 400 suppliers offering year round savings, there is something for everyone.
Recent examples of discounts have included:
- 50 per cent discount off Sky Entertainment packages
- 20 per cent savings on all EE phone contracts
- Up to 47 per cent savings on appliances from Hotpoint, Whirlpool and Indesit.