Caravan site licence

If you want to use land as a caravan site you'll need a licence. You'll probably need planning permission too.

Before applying for a licence, check to see if you need planning permission.

One of our officers will arrange to inspect the site to discuss the conditions and requirements of the licence. Conditions cover a range of health and safety standards and can include:

  • the type of caravan allowed on site
  • number of caravans
  • when the site can be used
  • water supplies
  • sanitary provisions, such as toilets and washing facilities
  • caravan spacing
  • fire safety
  • roadways

You do not need a licence if:

  • the caravan is in the grounds of a home and is used as part of the home
  • a single caravan is sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 month period
  • there are up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a total of 28 days in any 12 month period
  • the site is occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
  • the site has up to five caravans, is certified by an exempted organisation and is for members only
  • the site is occupied by the council, usually gypsy and traveller sites
  • the site is for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, builders
  • the site is for tents only and used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 month period


There is no fee for the licence.

Apply for a caravan and camping site licence

Licence enforcement

Once issued, the Council can alter the licence conditions at any time. We'll give licence holders the opportunity to make representation about any proposed changes.

We can take enforcement action for a breach of licence conditions. A compliance notice may be served to the site owner, listing the necessary action to address the issues. If the terms are not complied with, we may decide to prosecute in a magistrates' court.

In an emergency where the site owner has failed to comply with a site condition and their actions present an imminent risk to the health and safety of others we may decide to take action ourselves and will recover the costs of carrying out the work. The site owner has the right to appeal if they think that it was unreasonable for the action to be taken by us or that the residents on the site were not in imminent risk of serious harm.

Caravan site rules

The site owner can set site rules on residential caravan sites. Although we don't enforce these rules, some rules may be a duplicate of the site licence conditions. The site rules are part of the contract between the home owner and site owner, and supplement the Mobile Homes Act Agreement.

We're required to keep and publish a register of site rules. We'll update this page when we're notified by site owners that rules are in force. The rules that appear below have been written by the site owners, and not Plymouth City Council.


Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies. This means that you can assume your application has been successful unless you hear from us within 42 days.