Skip to main content

Make a complaint about a school

If you have a problem with a school, you will need to complain to the school. The school will have a complaints procedure on their website.

This procedure will tell you how to make a complaint and how your complaint will be handled. Most complaints are resolved by talking to the class teacher or headteacher. The school will be able to tell you about the other stages you can follow if this doesn't work.

Information on school complaints is available on GOV.UK.

If the school's complaints procedure involves the Council

If the school's procedure says that we have a role and you've completed all the stages, we can check if the school is following it.

We won't re-investigate your complaint or direct the school to take a particular course of action but we can provide advice. If the school has acted within the law, they don't have to accept our advice.