Your child may be eligible for free school transport if their nearest school is too far to walk.
Transport is provided by:
- bus passes
- petrol allowance
We will determine the method of transport we provide depending on your answers to the application.
If your child’s nearest school is too far away
Children aged 5 to 16 years old may qualify for home to school travel support if they are either:
- under 8 years old, attend their nearest qualifying school and live more than 2 miles away
- between 8 and 16 years old, attend their nearest qualifying school and live 3 miles or more away
Distance is measured by the shortest available walking route from your home to the nearest school entrance. If your child does not attend their nearest school they will not automatically qualify for support.
If you have a low family income
Children aged 5 to 11 years old (primary school age)
Your child may qualify for free school transport if both the following apply:
- they go to their nearest school which is at least 2 miles away measured on walking route
- they are entitled to free school meals or you get the maximum Working Tax Credit
Children aged 11 to 16 years old (secondary school age)
Your child may qualify for free school transport if they are entitled to free school meals or you get the maximum Working Tax Credit and either:
- they go to a school 2 to 6 miles away measured on walking route which is one of their 3 nearest suitable schools
- they go to a school 2 to 15 miles away which you choose because of your religion or belief
- they go to a school 2 to 15 miles away which you choose because they attend grammar school
If your child has a special need or medical condition
If your child is not able to walk to school, we will need to assess their needs to see if they are eligible for free school transport.
You will need to provide as much information as possible about their needs or medical conditions in the application.
Your child must attend the nearest school that meets their needs to be eligible.
If you have moved home
Your child may qualify for free transport if they have moved home and all the following apply:
- The move was involuntary
- They are in school year 6, 10 or 11
- They were attending their nearest school before the move
- the distance is now more than 3 miles from home to school or the distance is more than 2 miles from home to school and the child receives free school meals or you receive the maximum amount of Working Tax Credit
For the full eligible criteria, read our School Transport policy.
Aged 16 and over
How to apply
We aim to review applications within 30 working days.
You must submit an application before 31 May if you need the school transport to start in September.
Contact the school transport team
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone – 01752 308770
- Post– School Transport, Ballard House, West Hoe Road, Plymouth, PL1 3BJ
If your school transport application has been refused, you can appeal the decision.
If you already receive school transport or have had an application accepted, read our school transport travel information.