Skip to main content

Chelson Meadow van and trailer permit

Vans and trailers are allowed to bring household waste to Chelson Meadow if they have a valid permit.

Hired vans do not need a permit but they must be booked in by emailing .

Apply for a permit

If you're a Plymouth resident you can apply for a free permit. The vehicle the permit is for must be owned by you and there is a limit of one permit per household. You will need to provide proof of residency and your V5 document as proof of vehicle ownership.

When applying you will need:

  • Vehicle Registration Document (V5 log book, all pages) this must be registered to your current address
  • your photo card driving licence or a valid paper licence
  • Council Tax or utility bill from the last three months to be uploaded at the time of application

Permits are valid for 12 months.

Change of address

If you have changed address your permit is still valid. You will need to let us know by emailing with proof of address. E.g. Council Tax bill or updated driving licence.

Changed my vehicle

You will need to apply for a new permit. You will need to send your current permit by post to:

Plymouth City Council
Ballard House
West Hoe Rd

Lost permit

If you have lost your permit you will need to re-apply for another permit. There will be a £10 charge.


You are eligibility for a permit if you are a Plymouth resident and you don't already have a permit:

  • in your household
  • for your vehicle

Excluded vehicles

The following vehicles cannot apply for a permit:

  • vehicles that are over 3.5 tonnes when fully laden or over 3 metres long
  • any flatbed or dropside tipper style vehicle

Camper vans

All camper vans require a permit except those with:

  • windows throughout the vehicle (no panels) and two rows of seats in the back
  • a fitted sink and cooker

Visiting Chelson Meadow

Vans and trailers with a permit can access the site from 8.30am to 5.30pm, seven days a week.

Number of visits

You can make 12 trips a year if your:

  • vehicle is Vauxhall Corsa size
  • trailer under 1.8 metres long

You can make 6 trips a year if your:

  • vehicle is Ford Transit size
  • trailer between 1.8 and three metres long

If you only have green or garden waste it will not count as a trip.

We reserve the right to investigate and if necessary withdraw your permit

Under the Environmental Protection Act (1990) it is an offence to illegally deposit materials.

A Waste Carrier Licence is needed to collect or transport material which isn't from your household.

Claiming material as household waste when it did not come from your house is an offence.