Register a birth
How to register
You must register a birth within 42 days of the birth at the register office in the district where the birth takes place. In Plymouth you can register a birth at the Plymouth Register Office. To make an appointment call 01752 268331 or email email@example.com.
What you need to bring
You don't need to produce any documents when you register a birth but you'll need to provide the following information:
- Baby's date and place of birth
- Baby's forename(s) and surname
- Mother's full name, plus any other names she has been known by (for example a maiden name)
- Father's details (if they're to be included) his date and place of birth and his current or last occupation
- Month and year of the marriage if the birth parents were married to each other at the time of baby's birth
Who can register a birth
If the mother and father were married to each other at the time of the child's birth either parent may register.
If the mother and father were not married to each other at the time of the child's birth both parents have to be present at the registration in order to have both of their names recorded in the register. If the mother attends on her own only her details and the child's details will be recorded.
- Registering a birth - Free
- Short birth certificate - £4
- Full birth certificates at time of registration - £4
- Additional birth certificate at time of registration - £4
If you need extra birth certificates you can buy additional short and full certificates at registration or a copy of a certificate after registration.
Tell us once
When you register a birth you can use our 'tell us once' service and let us report the birth to various organisations for you.