Skip to main content

Correct a birth registration

A correction to a birth registration can only be made if the information is wrong. If your circumstances change after you've registered a birth (for example natural parents getting married) you can apply to re-register the birth.

Apply for a correction

If the mistake involves a name you will need to contact the General Register Office.

If you notice any other mistake on your birth certificate call 01752 268331 or email We'll make an appointment with you to make the correction if we need to.

There will be a fee of £70 - £90 depending on the correction type. We will let you know at the time of enquiry.

Application form

Correct a birth registration application form - GOV.UK

Who can apply for a correction

The mother or the father (if his details are included on the certificate) can apply for a correction.

What to bring to the appointment

You will need to bring documents that show what the correct information should be. These documents should be valid or dated around the date of birth. Visit GOV.UK for more information on what documents you can bring.

How the correction is made

The original information will always be in the birth register. After the correction has been made, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

If you apply for a new birth certificate, the note containing the correct information will be in the margin. Short birth certificates won't show the note in the margin.