Register to vote

If you want to vote in UK elections and referendums you need to register to vote. Your name and address will then appear on the electoral register.

Register to vote

You can register to vote if:

  • you're 18 years old (16 and 17 year olds can only register if they'll be 18 within the lifetime of the electoral register)
  • you live at your address for at least six months of the year
  • you're a British, Irish, European Union or Commonwealth citizen

You can also use this service to:

Registration takes about five minutes (you'll need your national insurance number).

If you're a student studying away from home, you can register in your home town as well as Plymouth. You can vote in both locations for local elections but only in one location for UK and European Parliamentary elections.


If you're a member of the armed forces (or a spouse or civil partner of a serving member) you can vote in the normal way or register for a service vote. All service votes are valid for five years.

Register to vote (armed forces)


If you're a Crown servant or a British Council employee (or the spouse or civil partner of a Crown servant or British Council employee) you need to register separately if you're likely to be posted abroad.

Register to vote (Crown servants and British Council employees)


If you're a British Citizen and you intend to move abroad to live or work, you may still be able to register to vote at Parliamentary Elections.

Your right to vote in the UK can last up to 15 years (after you were last registered in the UK). At the time of an election you can apply to vote by post or proxy.

In order to vote you must apply for a postal or proxy vote. However, you should vote by proxy if the election is less than two weeks away and you haven’t made any arrangements yet, as you may not get your ballot paper in time to vote by post.

We cannot send your postal ballot paper by email. We have to send it by post for you to complete and return by post in the pre-paid envelope provided.


Email or call 01752 304866 for more information.