Skip to main content

Public rights of way give you the right to walk across certain routes such as roads, paths or tracks, which may run through towns, countryside or private property. You can walk on all public rights of way and some are also open to horse riders, cyclists or motorists.

There are four types of public rights of way:

  • footpaths - for walking, running or mobility vehicles
  • bridleways - for walking, horse riding, cycling or mobility vehicles
  • restricted byways - for any transport without a motor and mobility vehicles
  • byways open to all traffic - for any kind of transport, including cars (but mainly used by walkers, cyclists and horse riders)

Report a problem using a public right of way

If you have a problem using a public right of way such as an obstruction, poor signs, broken gates, or other maintenance problem email or call 01752 304233.