Skip to main content

Apply for a secondary (year 6 to year 7) school place


If you live in Plymouth and you child was born between 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012, you can apply online for a secondary (year 7) school place for your child from 23.59 on 5 September 2022.

Once you've created an account through the Citizen Portal, you can apply for up to three schools (your first, second and third preference).

Some schools also ask you to complete additional supplementary information forms. For example, the standard application form doesn't ask about faith so faith schools may ask you about this on a supplementary information form. Some schools give priority to children of members of staff and will ask for submission of a supplementary form as proof. Some schools may have exceptional medical/social reasons as part of their admission criteria and will ask for submission of a supplementary information form. Please read the admission policy for each school which is available on the individual schools websites.

It is your responsibility as a parent to make sure the appropriate supplementary information forms are completed and returned with the application form.

Step 1

Find the three schools you're interested in. If you are interested in schools outside of Plymouth, you will need to look at their individual websites.

Read the relevant admission criteria for each school. All of the information you need including the timetable for applications is in the Plymouth Parents Guide booklet.

Plymouth Parents Guide

Step 2

You can register online and apply for a school place through the Citizen Portal. Please remember the password that you create as you will need this every time that you log into the portal. Once you have registered, you will receive an email confirmation of registration. You can apply online between Monday 5 September 2022 to Monday 31 October 2022. When you apply for a school place, you will receive a confirmation email. Please keep this email.

If you have previously registered and forgotten your password, please click on the forgotten password link in the portal. If you do not receive a reset password email please email the following details to

  • email address used in the registration
  • your name
  • child's name

Apply for a school place

If you have any problems completing the online form email the School Admissions team on

Apply for a secondary school place - Citizen Portal

Applications through the Citizen Portal are now closed

Apply for a secondary school place - My Plymouth account

Applications through the My Plymouth account - apply for a school place form are now open:

In-year school transfer

Information and applications details are available on our in-year admissions page.

Citizens Portal guidance

Supplementary Information Forms (SIF)

If the school has supplementary forms, you need to print them so that you can complete them:

Exceptional Medical Social Need

St Boniface RC College

Notre Dame RC School


Notre Dame RC School

St Boniface RC College

Pupil premium

Girls Grammar Schools

UTC Plymouth


SIF - Staff

All Saints CE Academy

Notre Dame RC School

St Boniface RC College

UTC Plymouth

Step 3

You can go back into your account any time up until the close date to amend your application. If you do this, please remember to re-submit your application and to make sure that you keep the confirmation email.

We will notify you of your allocation on Wednesday 1 March 2023 to tell you which school your child has been allocated.

Once you receive the allocation, you need to tell us whether or not you wish to accept the place.

For any school (exception DHS Boys) that you ranked higher than the one we allocated, your child will automatically be placed on the waiting list and will be considered if a vacancy comes up. If your child is allocated to a higher ranked school in further allocations, the new allocation will outweigh your previous acceptance of the lower ranked school. This means that when we allocate the higher ranked place, we will take away the previous school allocated and give it to someone else. If, after the initial allocation has been made, you no longer wish to be on the waiting list for a higher ranked school, you must tell us in writing as soon as possible, this can be done via email.

You will also have the right of appeal to an independent panel against any school place refusal.

Email for further information about choosing and applying for schools.