Changes to your circumstances affecting benefits
If your circumstances change, please tell us as soon as possible. The change may mean that you're eligible for more Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. To make sure we can award you any extra benefit, we need to be told of any change within one month of it occurring.
Some changes may mean that you are no longer able to claim Housing Benefit and must make a claim for Universal Credit.
Email email@example.com or call 01752 668000 or use the online form below to let us know of any change in your circumstances.
If you don't tell us within one month, we can only change your benefit from the Monday following the date you tell us. This means you may lose money that you're entitled to.
If the change means that you get less benefit, it is better to tell us as soon as possible so we can adjust your claim quickly. This means you'll be paid the right amount of benefit and will help prevent overpayments from occurring. You need to tell us if you think you're being overpaid or your circumstances change as you may have to pay back the overpayment or we may take it from future benefit payments.
You must tell us of any changes in your circumstances even if you've already told the Department for Work and Pensions, Job Centre Plus or HMRC tax credits.
Some changes that could affect your claim are:
- You make a claim for Universal Credit
- You move accommodation (including your room or flat within a property)
- You or your partner's income or savings goes up or down
- You or your partner start or stop working
- You or your partner's benefits change
- Anyone joins or leaves your household, including a partner
- Your rent changes
- A non-dependant in your household has a change in their income or, if they are in receipt of Universal Credit, they start work
- You get married
- Your children turn 18
From 11 April 2018, if your Housing Benefit ends because you have claimed Universal Credit on or after that date you will be eligible for a 2 week transition to Universal Credit payment of Housing Benefit. This will be paid automatically by the council and will not be recovered from any Universal Credit payment you receive.