Changes to your circumstances affecting benefits
Some changes may mean that you are no longer able to claim Housing Benefit and must make a claim for Universal Credit.
If you don't tell us within one month, we can only change your benefit from the Monday following the date you tell us. This means you may lose money that you're entitled to.
If the change means that you get less benefit, it is better to tell us as soon as possible so we can adjust your claim quickly. This means you'll be paid the right amount of benefit and will help prevent overpayments from occurring. You need to tell us if you think you're being overpaid or your circumstances change as you may have to pay back the overpayment or we may take it from future benefit payments.
You must tell us of any changes in your circumstances even if you've already told the Department for Work and Pensions, Job Centre Plus or HMRC tax credits.
You will need to provide your claim reference number that is shown on your notification letter, along with your National Insurance Number to help confirm your identity.
Some changes that could affect your claim are:
- You make a claim for Universal Credit
- You move accommodation (including your room or flat within a property)
- You or your partner's income or savings goes up or down
- You or your partner start or stop working
- You or your partner's benefits change
- Anyone joins or leaves your household, including a partner
- Your rent changes
- A non-dependant in your household has a change in their income or, if they are in receipt of Universal Credit, they start work
- You get married
- Your children turn 18
- You have been, or intend to be, absent from your home for more than four weeks
If your Housing Benefit ends because you have claimed Universal Credit you will be eligible for a two week transition to Universal Credit payment of Housing Benefit. This will be paid automatically by the council and will not be recovered from any Universal Credit payment you receive.
If you are currently receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support but you have received a letter advising that it has been suspended because of a change in your circumstances, you can use the link below to provide the supporting evidence that we have requested.