Changes to your circumstances affecting benefits
If your circumstances change, please tell us as soon as possible. The change may mean that you're eligible for more Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. To make sure we can award you the extra benefit, we need to be told of any change within one month of it occurring.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 668000 or use the online form below to let us know of any change in your circumstances.
If you don't tell us within that time, we can only change your benefit from the Monday following the date you tell us. This means you may lose money that you're entitled to.
If the change means that you get less benefit, it is better to tell us as soon as possible so we can adjust your claim quickly. This means you'll be paid the right amount of benefit and it will help prevent overpayments from occurring. You need to tell us if you think you're being overpaid or your circumstances change as you may have to pay back the overpayment or we may take it from future benefit payments.
You must tell us of any changes in your circumstances even if you've already told the Department for Work and Pensions, Job Centre Plus or HMRC tax credits.
Some changes that could affect your claim are:
- You move accommodation (including your room or flat within a property)
- You or your partner's income goes up or down
- You or your partner's savings go up or down
- You or your partner start or stop working
- You or your partner's benefits change
- Anyone joins or leaves your household
- Your rent changes
- Your income from a non-dependant in your household changes
- You get married
- Your partner moves into your home
- Your children turn 18