Skip to main content

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit that supports working age people who are on a low income or out of work.

Universal Credit replaces the following six benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit 

If you are currently claiming benefits

If you are already receiving one of these benefits, you don't need to do anything, but if your circumstances change you may have to make a claim for Universal Credit.

Check if you are eligible to make a claim for Universal Credit on GOV.UK

If you and/or any partner are working age and need help with rent payments you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit unless you fall into one of the following categories when you can still claim Housing Benefit:

  • you live in supported housing/a hostel
  • you are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation
  • you and your partner have reached State Pension age
  • you or your partner have been getting Pension Credit since before 15 May 2019

If you are struggling to pay Council Tax you can apply for Council Tax Support

Apply for Universal Credit

You will need:

  • your National Insurance Number
  • details of a bank, building society or credit union account into which your claim will be paid
  • your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • details of any savings and other capital § details of any non-work income (for example income from an insurance plan)
  • details of any other benefits you already receive

Help and support

Citizens Advice run a ‘Help to Claim’ service. Phone 0800 1448 444 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.) Find our more on the Citizens Advice Plymouth website

Free access to computers and Wi-Fi is available in libraries. Library staff may be able to offer basic help. Library locations and opening hours