We work in partnership to provide support for residents of Plymouth who are in a financial crisis and don't have access to other funding in an emergency. We may be able to refer you to Foodbank for crisis support and they might be able to help you with food, clothes for job interviews, budgeting support and advice on your individual situation.
A crisis referral to Foodbank may be considered if you live in Plymouth and one or more of the following apply:
- you've just started a new job and won't be paid for a period of time (evidence of employment will be required)
- a crisis such as illness has affected your ability to manage day to day essential living expenses
- An unexpected bill arrives, such as funeral expenses, that puts you in financial crisis
- there's been a change in your benefit entitlement, for example a suspension or a change of circumstances or you're waiting for a new benefit claim to be assessed. If this is the case you will need to apply for a short term benefit advance, hardship payment and/or budgeting loan from the job centre before we can refer you to Foodbank
You aren't eligible for crisis support if you do not live in Plymouth, or if:
- you've already had three referrals to Foodbank within the last 12 months
- you have failed to take advantage of support offered
- you have access to financial help from other sources, such as friends and family
- you're unable to provide evidence if requested to support your crisis referral
- your needs could be met though eligibility to budgeting loans, short term advances (formally benefit alignment payments), cold weather payments, winter fuel payments or requirements under Fair Access to Care Service (FACS)
- you have been banned from using the foodbank or Oasis premises
If you think that you are eligible, please contact us by calling 01752 668000 or visiting us at 1st Stop Shop.
The following organisations provide financial advice and assistance:
- Plymouth Energy Community
- City of Plymouth Credit Union
- Money Advice Plymouth
- Plymouth Citizens Advice Bureau
Alternatively you can visit the Turn2us website for further information, help and advice.