Freedom of Information
If you can't find the information you are looking for you can ask for it under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. (FOIA).
Before you make a Freedom of information (FOI) request check the information you want is not already available in our publication scheme.
How we deal with your request
We'll usually respond to your request within 20 working days. We'll either provide the information you've asked for or let you know if we:
- don't hold the information you want
- if it's already publicly available
- if there's a cost for the information
- if any of the information is exempt from disclosure
If there's a cost to answer your request we'll let you know how much it is before we give you the information. Once we receive payment the information will be sent to you. The charges for requests can be found on the Information Access Fees Policy page.
Environmental Information Requests (EiR)
Public authorities that are subject to the EIR must consider disclosure of environmental information under the EIR, rather than under FOIA.
Environmental information is any information on:
- the state of the elements of the environment and the interaction among these elements;
- factors affecting or likely to affect those elements;
- measures or activities affecting or likely to affect those factors or elements, or designed to protect those elements;
- reports on the implementation of environmental legislation;
- cost–benefit and other economic analyses and assumptions used within the framework of those measures and activities; and
- the state of human health and safety, conditions of human life, cultural sites and built structures in as much as they are or may be affected by those elements.
You can also contact the Information Commissioner's Office for advice. You can call them on 0303 123 1113, write to them at the Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or visit the Information Commissioner website.
A response will be compiled and usually sent by email to you within a maximum of 20 working days.
Please note that Environmental Information Requests may be subject to a charge under the legislation. For information on fees visit our webpage.
Make a Freedom of Information or EiR request
If you're not happy with how we have dealt with your request, you can request an internal review in accordance with the FOIA / EiR. We will tell you how to do this when we reply to your request.