Skip to main content

Roads maintained by the Council

Types of road

We have two different types of road:

  • a public road which is adopted and maintained by us
  • a private road which is not adopted or maintained by us but could still be used by the public.

The Council keeps a list of all streets in the city which are maintained by us. The information is for guidance only and is updated three times a year.

Highways register

  • Plan or letter - £80
  • Letter and a plan - £134
  • Letter, plan and additional information - £188

Prices include VAT

Call our Technical Support on 01752 304366 if you have any problems.  Most requests are dealt with within 10 working days.

Adopting a road

When we adopt a private road it means we then own the road and will maintain it.

New roads are adopted through an agreement between us and the developer under section 38 of the Highways Act 1980. Once a developer has built the road to the required standard, we can adopt it as a highway maintainable at public expense (HMPE).

Existing private roads won't normally be adopted unless they're brought up to current standards by the owners of the road.

Work can be carried out on existing public roads through an agreement between us and the developer under section 278 of the Highways Act 1980. Works to the road, such as junction improvements, traffic calming or improved pedestrian facilities, are paid for by the developer.

Highway agreement form

We can adopt an area of land under section 228 of the Highways Act 1980, if it's been maintained by us in the past or it's needed for developments in the area. The landowner can object to the adoption in writing within one month of notices being displayed on site.


There are 2 ways in which an HMPE (Highways Maintainable at Public Expense) can be extinguished:

  • Section 247 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990
  • Section 116 of the Highways Act 1980.

An extinguishment under Section 116 can only be applied for by the Highway Authority.

Developers can request an extinguishment as part of a planning application. Once they have submitted an application to the Council, they can then apply to the Department for Transport (DFT) for the extinguishment. The DFT will consult the Council and if they have no objections, the highway will be extinguished as a result of the planning application.

Enquiries can be made by emailing