Dropped kerbs

Pedestrian dropped kerb

A dropped kerb makes it easier for pedestrians with mobility problems or pushchairs to get to the pavement from the road.  

You can ask us to drop a kerb but we need to get approval from your local councillors as there is a limited amount of money in each ward to spend on improvements. 

Mobility problems

If you have a mobility problem you can ask us to drop the kerb outside your home to make it easier for you to get to your property. As it is just for your use there is a charge that will depend on the size of the access.  

As a rough guide it costs £200 for a square metre but can cost a lot more if we need to move or change something like a street light or gas main. 

To request a dropped kerb for pedestrians email trafficmanagement@plymouth.gov.uk or call 01752 668000. 

Domestic vehicle crossing (dropped kerb)

A domestic vehicle crossing (dropped kerb) allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway or commercial premises.  

To qualify for a crossing your hardstanding must be a minimum of 4.8 metres deep by 2.7 metres wide 

How to apply

You need planning permission before you can apply to have a vehicle crossing if:

  • your property is on a classified road (see list)
  • your property is a listed building or within a conservation area 
  • your property is something other than a house for a single family, such as a flat, maisonette, commercial or industrial premises 
  • work is needed to raise the level by half a metre or more, or lower the level by 1 metre or more 
  • your hardstanding is constructed of impermeable material  

Download Classified roads [PDF, 151KB]

You will need to submit a plan with your application, showing the area and measurements of your proposed hardstanding and crossing, including the garden area to be used.  

You can submit a photo if it shows the measurements. 


Application/survey fee - £80 (non-refundable)  

Processing/approval fee - £100 (non-refundable)  

You need to pay the application/survey fee with your application. If your application is approved, we will contact you to pay the processing/approval fee.  

Apply for a domestic vehicle crossing (dropped kerb)

What happens next  

We will visit your property to carry out a survey and mark the approved location for your vehicle crossing if your application is successful. You do not need to be present for this inspection.  

If your crossing is approved, we will contact you to request the final payment of £100.  

We will then send you a letter of conditional approval. The approval is valid for 6 months. 

If your crossing is not approved, we will contact you with the reasons why.  

The process can take up to 8 weeks.  

Employing a contractor

All work must be carried out by an accredited contractor. They must submit a Section 171 (Highway permit) form.  

It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure the contractor has a S171 permit. 

Download Apply for a highway permit [PDF, 160KB]

The approved contractor must have:   

  • public liability insurance for £5 million 
  • a supervisor and operative to be accredited under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA 1991), to carry out excavations on the highway 

They will need a copy of the approval letter and our vehicle crossing conditions.  

Download Household vehicle crossing conditions [PDF, 97KB]

Once your crossing is completed, we will carry out a final inspection. If the work meets with the conditions of the crossing, we will send you a letter of final approval.  

You are responsible for the condition of the crossing for 2 years from construction. Plymouth City Council will then take over the maintenance of the crossing. 

Commercial vehicle crossing

Apply for a commercial crossing if the parking area is for multiple vehicles. For example, more than 4, or where the vehicle exceeds the average car weight of 1.4 tons 


It costs £265 + VAT (£318) to apply for a commercial vehicle crossing.  

£80 is non-refundable and will need to be paid when you apply.  

Apply for a commercial vehicle crossing (dropped kerb)

If you plan to carry out the work yourself, you will also need to apply for a highway permit (Section 171 access to site licence). 

Download Apply for a highway permit [PDF, 160KB]

Most commercial vehicle crossings will need planning permission. Check with our planning department.