Southway to Plymbridge
Southway to Plymbridge walking and cycling improvements
Following consultation on improvements for pedestrians, cyclists and people with disabilities stretching from Southway to Plymbridge, we are pleased to announce that construction will be starting on the Southway section on 23 March, 2020, and expected to finish by November 2020.
These improvements, being delivered by SWH on behalf of the Council, will be overwhelmingly funded from Growth Deal and the Transforming Cities Fund; both funding sources are from the Department for Transport. These funds will be supplemented by developer contributions and Plymouth City Council funds.
The Southway Drive scheme with some changes following consultation, includes:
- widening and resurfacing of a length of footway along Southway Drive from the Western end of Pendeen Crescent to the George junction allowing children and less confident people cycling to avoid the road
- Widening of the footway alongside the green on Southway Lane to allow cyclists get more safely between the road and the path
- Conversion of the Clittaford Road Junction to a mini roundabout to provide improved crossing facilities whilst maintaining traffic flow
- Improved crossings for pedestrians and cyclists at minor side roads and entrances to business premises
- A length of on road cycle lane on Southway Drive with double yellow lining on the eastbound carriageway (north side) approximately between Butler Close and Roborough surgery
- additional double yellow lining on Butler Close and outside the Aldi on Southway Drive and Flamborough Road.
- Tactile paving to help improve safety for people with visual impairments
- The works required the removal of 10 trees, but 44 trees will be planted in the vicinity along with wildflower planting on verges as part of the scheme
The image below illustrates the how the wildflowers to be planted on the verges might look:
As part of this phase we will also be carrying out the following improvements in the vicinity of Plymbridge Road:
Widening and resurfacing of the existing path from Durris Gardens and Miller Way
Widening and resurfacing of the existing path from Yardley Gardens to Thornbury Road
Scheme to be constructed
Aldi to Butler Close - ZONE 2 [229MB]
Southway Landscaping [2MB]
The remainder of the Plymbridge Road scheme is under development and is expected to be constructed later in 2020.