Skip to main content

Road closures and restrictions

Any work on a road that means we have to close it or restrict traffic needs a traffic regulation order (TRO). This might be:

  • for road works to take place
  • because of building works being carried out near the road
  • for safety at an event
  • for events, street parties and fairs.

Restrictions can be temporary or permanent and include:

  • road and footway closures
  • waiting and loading
  • one-way streets
  • speed limits
  • weight and width restrictions
  • access and turning restrictions
  • cycle and bus lanes
  • parking zones.

Request a temporary road closure or restriction

If you're a contractor or event organiser and you need a temporary restriction or road closure you can apply for a temporary traffic regulation order.

We need at least six weeks' notice - for some closures this can be up to three months so that we can advertise diversions. You can close a footway for a maximum of six months and a carriageway for a maximum of 18 months.


  • emergency road closures (up to five days) - £450
  • planned works (up to 28 days) - £1,078
  • planned works (over 28 days) - £2,500.

Applications submitted with less than 12 weeks notice will incur an additional £200 charge.

Scheme information and questionnaires

Proposed permanent changes

If you'd like to comment on or object to any proposed schemes please email quoting the reference number.

Approved changes

Clearway (2137288)

TRO Review 9 (2137281)

Alpha Way (2137286)

Privacy Statement