Any work on a road that means we have to close it or restrict traffic needs a traffic regulation order (TRO). This might be:
- for road works to take place
- because of building works being carried out near the road
- for safety at an event
- for events, street parties and fairs.
Restrictions can be temporary or permanent and include:
- road and footway closures
- waiting and loading
- one-way streets
- speed limits
- weight and width restrictions
- access and turning restrictions
- cycle and bus lanes
- parking zones.
Request a temporary road closure or restriction
If you're a contractor or event organiser and you need a temporary restriction or road closure you can apply for a temporary traffic regulation order.
We need at least six weeks' notice - for some closures this can be up to three months so that we can advertise diversions. You can close a footway for a maximum of six months and a carriageway for a maximum of 18 months.
- emergency road closures (up to five days) - £450
- planned works (up to 28 days) - £1,078
- planned works (over 28 days) - £2,500.
Applications submitted with less than 12 weeks notice will incur an additional £200 charge.
Scheme information and questionnaires
Proposed permanent changes
If you'd like to comment on or object to any proposed schemes please email email@example.com quoting the reference number.