Road closures and restrictions

Any work on a road that means we have to close it or restrict traffic needs a traffic regulation order. This might be:

  • for road works to take place
  • because of building works being carried out near the road
  • for safety at an event
  • for events, street parties and fairs

Restrictions can be temporary or permanent and include:

  • road and footway closures
  • waiting and loading
  • one-way streets
  • speed limits
  • weight and width restrictions
  • access and turning restrictions
  • cycle and bus lanes
  • parking zones

Request a temporary road closure or restriction

If you're a contractor or event organiser and you need a temporary restriction or road closure you can apply for a temporary traffic regulation order.

We need at least six weeks' notice - for some closures this can be up to three months so that we can advertise diversions. You can close a footway for a maximum of six months and a carriageway for a maximum of 18 months.

Download Request a temporary road closure [PDF, 281KB]


  • Emergency road closures (up to five days) - £450
  • Planned works (up to 28 days) - £1,050
  • Planned works (over 28 days) - £2,500

Proposed permanent changes

  Torbryan and Cockington Close - [PDF, 802KB] - comment by 18th May 2018

  Plympton Erle - [PDF, 1,125KB] - comment by 08th May 2018

  Plymouth Road - [PDF, 1.416 KB] - comment by 17th April 2018

  Cattedown, Keyham, Stoke and Brest Road areas - [PDF, 2,364] - comment by 13th April 2018

  Mutley Barracks Car Park (Off Street Order) - [PDF, 84KB] - comment by 3rd April 2018

  Darklake View - [PDF, 921KB] - comment by 3rd April 2018

  Stanborough Cross - [PDF, 955KB] - comment by 27th March 2018

If you'd like to comment on or object to any proposed schemes please email quoting the Amd reference number.

Approved changes

  Armada Street, Mildmay Street and Baring Street [PDF, 1,374KB]

  Lundy Close [PDF, 876KB]

 Commercial Road [PDF, 1,266KB]

 Living Streets, Various Locations [PDF, 1,878KB]