Search and comment on a planning application

You can use the online Public Access system to search for, view and comment on current planning applications and supporting plans and documents.

Search and comment on a planning application

You can download (paper or electronically) plans and documents relating to planning applications under Section 47 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. You cannot copy the documents for your own use unless you have the permission of the copyright owner (the person that drew the plans or the author of the document).

What is included in the planning register?

Our archived planning application data and archived documents are available to view depending on the information transferred to our system. For reference our online application data goes back to 1974. It cannot be guaranteed that the full planning history can be identified by this search engine. If you would like a 'bespoke' planning history search to be undertaken please contact our Local Land Charges on Plymouth 01752 304938 or email

Applications that are withdrawn or invalid will not be available to view online. 

You can request email notifications for applications in your area or other applications you are interested in. To do this you can create an account on our Public Access system and save the areas you are interested in. Public Access will alert you on applications received in your registered interest area and the applications progress through the planning system. 

Plans and associated documents relating to planning applications can be viewed on the online planning register (Public Access) using the documents tab.

Commenting on a planning application

You can comment to support or object to any application that's currently open for consultation. Search for applications using the application number or part of the address.

There is more on how the process works, what is suitable to include in comments and when they can be submitted, and the grounds for objection on our how to respond to planning applications below:

Download Public comments (previously letters of representation) [PDF, 155KB]

If you create an online account using Public Access your details such as your address and email are stored. If you write into us we ask that you provide your name and address with your comments. We cannot accept confidential or anonymous comments.

We will note all comments and make them available online within five workings days. This will include your name and address. Please do not include any other personal information in your comments.

We cannot enter into individual correspondence with regards to any planning application, but you can track the progress of the planning application on the Public Access system.

How to comment online

To comment on planning applications using the online Public Access system you are required to have an online account with the Council. Appropriate checks will be made to ensure the authenticity of online accounts and comments posted. Any accounts or comments found to be fraudulant will be removed. Authors of the comments/letters are ultimately responsible for its contents and the comments that you make. Please ensure your comments are not offensive, inflammatory or libelous, if they are, we will remove them. When you comment, your name, address and comments are made available for everyone to read online.

Download How to register and use (quick user guide) [PDF, 175KB]

Download How to register and use guide [PDF, 1MB]

Please note:  The Public Acccess System will time out after 30 minutes of inactive use.  You will need to log back in to use the system again.

Other ways to comment

You can write to us at, Planning, Plymouth City Council, Ballard House, West Hoe Road, Plymouth, PL1 3BJ. We will delete personal details such as telephone numbers, signature and email addresses. Your names and address will be shown publically online to authenticate the comments are genuine.  Please note from 1st January 2019 we will no longer be accepting comments made against planning applications by email or by post.  If you wish to make comments or view applications you must use our Public Access system.