Skip to main content

Apply for a child work permit

A child can work part-time from the age of 13 if they have a work permit. Employers must make sure all children they employ have a permit.

You (as parent or guardian) and the child's employer should fill in the work permit application form and send it to us.

We'll check with your child's school and issue a work permit if we think their health, welfare and education won't be damaged by the job. We'll send a copy of the permit to the employer if it's approved and we'll write to you to let you know.