Skip to main content

Competent person scheme

Some work can be carried out without needing building regulation approval if you've used an installer registered with a competent person scheme.

Types of work covered by a scheme include:

  • Cavity and solid wall insulation
  • Gas appliances
  • Hot water and heating systems connected to gas appliances
  • Heating or hot water system connected to an electric heat source
  • Fixed air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems
  • Electrical installation work in dwellings or in association with other work (for example kitchen installations, boiler installations)
  • Windows, doors, roof windows, or roof lights in dwellings
  • Plumbing and water supply systems and bathrooms and sanitary ware
  • Roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs
  • Microgeneration or renewable technologies

Visit the GOV.UK website for a full list of the types of building work covered by a scheme or if you're still unsure if you need building regulation approval, you can contact the duty surveyor (email or call 01752 304343, available Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Fridays 8.30am to 4.30pm) to talk through your proposal or application and if needed a free pre-application meeting can be arranged.