Skip to main content

Report a dangerous structure

Report a dangerous structure 

If there is a structure that is perceived to be an imminent danger to the public, phone  01752 304343 (out of hours 01752 668000).  

Protecting members of the public

The role of Building Control and the main purpose behind the dangerous structures sections of the Building Act 1984 (Sections 77 and 78) is to protect members of the public from buildings that may be of imminent danger of collapse and that, therefore, have the potential to cause harm.

Building Control are not responsible for neighbour party walls or structures

Action we take

Once a report is received we will investigate the matter in line with our Dangerous Structure protocol. This can include desk research and a site visit to assess the danger. 

If we consider the building immediately dangerous we'll ask for or take necessary reasonable action to protect the public and properties nearby. Such action can involve temporary road closing, barricading, shoring, scaffolding, repairing or demolishing. 

If the building isn't immediately dangerous we will try to work with the building owner to agree the work needed to make the property safe. If this isn't completed within a specified time, we can implement more formal action through notice. If this isn't complied with, we can instruct necessary works to make the building safe and recover expenses from the owner.  

Charges for a dangerous structure

When an officer investigates a dangerous structure the first hour will be free and then £71 (including VAT) per hour will be charged (£125  out of hours) until the incident is resolved. 

This is to be made clear to the building owner/responsible person at the first visit or, if not possible, via land charges route if the owner isn’t known.  

£71 per hour - during office hours (8am to 5pm) 

£125 per hour - out of office hours (5pm to 8am) 

Neighbour party walls / structures

Buildings and structures that are located between private properties such as along boundary and party lines may need to be repaired over time. Arranging these works is not the role of Building Control.

These are civil matters which can involve complicated land conveyance disputes. The owner/occupiers of the buildings and structures are ultimately responsible for the upkeep and have a general duty of care to protect people from any harm arising through the unsafe condition of their buildings/structures. 

Visit GOV.UK for information on the Party Wall etc Act 1996