Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is a local means-tested scheme for people on low incomes to help them pay their Council Tax. Any owner-occupier or tenant aged 18 or over who is legally responsible for the Council Tax can claim Council Tax Support.

How to apply

If you are on a low income or claiming benefits you may be eligible for Council Tax Support. 

EU citizens, EEA and Swiss nationals can make a claim for, or remain entitled to, Council Tax Support if they have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) and have been granted settled status, or pre-settled status and also have a right to reside.

The deadline to apply to the EUSS was 30 June 2021.  If you have not yet applied and have reasonable grounds you may be able to make a late application.  Find out more about late applications and reasonable grounds on the GOV.UK website

If you are currently in receipt of Council Tax Support, once the charge for 2022/23 is set, your Council Tax Support will be awarded and included on your bill. You do not need to submit a new claim. 

Apply for Council Tax Support

It takes us on average 21 days to process a new Council Tax Support claim. This may be quicker if you provide all the evidence we need as soon as possible.

You must keep paying your Council Tax as billed, even if you have applied for Council Tax Support. 

How we make our decision

The amount of Council Tax Support you can get is based on your:

  • income
  • savings
  • circumstances

We update our Council Tax Support scheme each year. Read about the Council Tax Support scheme 2021/22.

Changes to your circumstances

Changes in your circumstances may affect the amount of benefits you can receive. 

You must tell us if you have a change in circumstances.

You will need:

  • the claim reference number which you can find on your notification letter
  • your National Insurance Number

Report a change in circumstances

Suspended awards

If you receive Council Tax Support and we have sent you a letter telling you it has been suspended because of a change in your circumstances. You can send us the supporting evidence we have asked for. 

Provide evidence we've requested

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate is Council Tax Support for people who:

  • are responsible for paying Council Tax
  • have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit
  • share their home with one or more adults (non-dependants) who:
    • are 18 or over and not paying you rent
    • are not your partner
    • are not responsible for paying the Council Tax
    • are on a low income

You cannot apply for Second Adult Rebate if you or your partner receive:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

If you are not sure whether to claim Second Adult Rebate, make a claim for full Council Tax Support and we will check your entitlement.

How to appeal

If you disagree with a Council Tax Support decision, find out how you can make an appeal against a decision.

Council Tax Support scheme information 

We update our Council Tax Support Scheme each year. Read the information for the current and previous years. 

Council Tax Support Scheme 2022 to 2023

Council Tax Support Scheme 2021 to 2022

Chief Executives Direction of Acceptance

 Direction Acceptance of electronic claims and changes of circumstances [PDF, 132KB]